Month of sloth will end with a fittingly lazy entry, as I don't have much to speak of (with levity) and I'm telling myself I can't postpone a monthly post to the 2nd day of the following month or else that'd just lead me to eventual inaction. Me and Chroma finished that rough draft of the next Entertainers album on the 15th and so just have to rerecord (a bit), mix, and master. With regards to solo music, that song Deadbeat (which was featured in the 'May songs' vid from last month) I'm working on a mix for rn and have this beautiful section from Pancakes which is now the best part of the whole thing :D (I love my friends!!!)
I errr, did finish my And Then They Played Dilla entry on my CH list, given we're already halfway through the year I need to average 1 write-up a month to finish out the Hamiltonization process this year (a goal I set back in January). Speaking of Charles, I was going on Genius this month and transcribing/annotating, it's so damn time consuming I swear to god.. Was so surprised how many songs just didn't have lyrics (Humble Beginnings, Sunstorm, Parent-Teacher Night, Media Take Out), I mean, Steve Smith and The Blazer didn't even have an album page 😭.
The last few days I've been making my way through Actual Air by David Berman (long time coming) which was actually shouted out by Charles Bissell in this one Pitchfork article. I don't know if it's just me being rusty but every third poem I got to reread and reread to make sense of (<- dense), there's also this like, grouping of poems split into 2 parts where each part is headered like one single poem. The thing is hard to make sense of at the moment (I've only read through part 2 (comes before part 1)), especially since each poem within is subheadered by roman numerals which jump around all over 😖. There have been some stellar poems and lines thus far, my favorite snippets go as follows:
- Not a still life but a slow life then
- North goes down on East and the branches out the window shift like scars on a toymaker’s hand.
Just earlier I read through some Proust (Swann's Way) and actually found it deeply engrossing. I've really labored to get through what came to me as an immensely dry tale up to this point, can't tell if this is a newfound love for the style or simply a stellar passage. I'll certainly be holding out to see... (The part I'm referring to was pages 98-105, where the love of Bergotte is spoken of at length).
I'm cutting it real close now (11:55PM), so I guess it's time to sign off. Here's to July, here's to finishing at least two books in a month, here's to releasing The Shape Of Ragtime To Come, here's to Charles Hamilton and Charles Bissell!
| had practically no pics from June so this'll do |
No comments:
Post a Comment